Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Little Bragging and A Lot of Doubt

Please allow for a little shameless plug:

New story up on Horror Bound Online Magazine!!

Now on to the real business.

I'm beginning to realize an entirely new anxiety when it comes to my writing. I recently began shopping my novel around to different publishers. I thought it would be a huge relief, a weight off my shoulders. And I guess to some extent it was. I certainly felt a sense of accomplishment. What surprised me was the nervousness. I felt like a mom sending her baby out into the big, bad world. I understand the worry Dr. Frankenstein felt when he unleashed his monster.

I begin to worry if I wrote enough, if I rewrote enough, if I edited enough.

In the end, I know I can't allow myself to worry. After all, people will think what they will about my writing. Some will love me; some will hate me.

I just need to grow a thicker skin.

And now I play the waiting game. Crossing my fingers that the novel will find a new home soon. :)

Until then, novel number two will get its start, and with it, the writing process comes full circle. It's hard to worry about the last one when beginning an entirely new love affair with a new plot, new characters....ahh, my heart races just to think of it!

4 comments:

  1. I read your short story. I nearly didn't, as I wasn't sure how stressful it'd be for me. I thought it was quite good! Haunting, as opposed to terrifying. By the end I wished I'd learned more about the secrets of the Lazarus box; more of the history behind the artifact from the story, what would happen to it after John left this world, to whom the power of the Lazarus box would transfer. I think a good story leaves readers with wonder and lingering questions. I hope to have the privilege of reading more of your writing someday!

    I have difficulty imagining how much time and effort goes into writing a WHOLE book. I struggled with writing anthropological papers in college, and those were assignments! With facts and resources and deadlines! I guess I enjoy writing, but I've never been one to conceive of worlds and characters. To willingly devote countless hours to developing characters and plot twists you know intimately all for the sake of your own satisfaction is an experience I doubt I'll ever be able to fully comprehend. But I admire it. And appreciate it!

    What I mean to say is...writing takes a lot of courage. To create something completely of yourself and share it with others isn't easy. I mean, it's hard to not take criticism of your work personally when it's something into which you've poured your heart. But I think it's good that you're a little anxious about the reception of your work. Your modesty will allow you to take constructive criticism and truly appreciate well-deserved praise.

    When will you hear back from some of the publishers with whom you've gotten in touch? How many have you contacted? Let me know whenever you'll be published (however long THAT process takes!), or if you're interested in getting a reader reaction. I'll be looking forward to reading your work. =)

    Meanwhile, I've been watching (and enjoying) Firefly. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm excited to watch more Morena Baccarin in Stargate, when I get around to it. She's wonderful as Anna in V, but V's not as good as I'd like. Meanwhile, Nathan Fillion recently claimed interest in buying the rights to Firefly if he could come up with the money and reboot the series. I'd certainly be happy to watch more episodes!

    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/03/08/firefly-farewell-one-browncoat-says-a-revival-would-miss-the-magic/#/0

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is structurally really good. Like productionette says, the lingering questions make this very enjoyable.

    Good luck with the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for the feedback! This story the first one a sent out for publication, so it has a special place in my heart. I'm getting good feedback from my novel. I just got a nice handwritten note from a publisher saying that he thought it was well-written a good sell, but he had to pass simply because the weren't taking any "horror" genre. Not a bad rejection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A handwritten rejection is not a goodbye, but a see you later. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete