Monday, February 14, 2011

For All You Bleeding Hearts Out There...

You knew I wouldn't let you down.

Not today of all days.

People giving their hearts to one another; everyone decked out in the color of blood...I can't think of any holiday with imagery as gory as Valentine's Day.

Here's a few films to help you remember the true meaning of the holiday:
 

Valentine (2001), starring David Boreanaz and Denise Richards

I only wish this movie had been half as creepy as the trailer. It's pretty much your typical, glossy, Scream wannabe, PG13 horror film. Not horrible, but completely forgettable.

I much prefer...



My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009), starring Jensen Ackles (need I say more?)

I loved almost everything about this remake...and not just Mr. Ackles (sigh).  One of the few times I've liked the remake more than the original. This movie was just pure fun. It didn't take itself too seriously. It had the perfect mix of humor and horror. It made good use of fake blood and cheap scares. The 3D aspect just amplified the enjoyment. A popcorn flick at its very best.

Here's the original, in case you missed it:



This was the trailer from the original 1981 movie. Honestly, this is just one of the many horror movies that followed the formula set by Friday the 13th (1980). Still, not a bad movie to watch if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Maybe zombies are more your thing?

How about zombies in love? Be still my not-beating heart...



Boy Eats Girl (2005)

I actually saw this one on television recently...on SyFy, I think? Or Chiller? Decent film, but if you really want quality horror, read on...




Roman (2006), starring Lucky McKee and Kristen Bell (Dir. Angela Bettis, Written by Lucky McKee)

This film snuck up on me. Yes, on one level it is a great horror film: boy meets girl, boy obsesses over girl, boy kills girl and keeps her body around in his apartment.

But on another level, I don't even feel comfortable calling it "horror." As with most of what McKee and Bettis do, there is something hauntingly and painfully human about this film. Every character has a place in my heart. I feel for them in a way that I don't usually when I watch horror films. The film stuck with me. I've watched it many times, and I still find new things about it that I like. Just watch it.

Feeling warm and fuzzy yet?



May (2002), starring Angela Bettis, Jeremy Sisto, and Anna Farris (Dir./Writer Lucky McKee)

It's really the universal story, isn't it? After all, we are all just searching for our "perfect mate"? Isn't that what Valentine's Day is really about?

Believe it or not, there were too many Valentine's Day horror movies to list here. I guess there is just something about this holiday that brings out the inner psycho in all of us. Only one question now...

What will hubby and I watch tonight to celebrate?

4 comments:

  1. I've never been a horror buff. Maybe I watched too many Disney movies and dramas as a child, but I always have a very active imagination and anything that encourages the least bit of fear in my mind culminates with me squeezing my eyes shut and burying myself in the covers, terrified to get out of bed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night in case there's someone, or something, lying in wait to grab me!

    But I have seen May, and I remember it being such a clever take on the idea of finding someone to love her for who she is. That's what everyone wants. There's something inherently moving about it.

    Given my interest in Asian culture, I'm much more drawn to the horror of their variety. There's a distribution company, Tartan Asia Extreme, that has put out a lot of good horror movies.

    Audition (1999) is a Japanese film about a beautiful, talented woman with whom the protagonist falls who love, who is particularly skilled in dance, music, and torture.

    The Host (2006) a Korean monster movie comedy and drama. A dysfunctional family must band together when a strange, mutant monster (the result of American military waste dumped in the Han river) appears and wreaks havoc.

    The Red Shoes (2005) is a Korean horror film based on the fairy tale. A woman finds a pair of red shoes that she later discovers is cursed and drives the wearers into a hysteria leading to their demise. She tries to get rid of the shoes and protect her young daughter. There was also a wonderful British version (1948) about a ballerina who must choose between dancing in a production of "The Red Shoes" for her ballet company boss and the love she shares with the composer. Aronofsky apparently watched this movie while filming Black Swan, and if you've seen both, you can immediately sense the inspiration.

    A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is a Korean horror movie about a pair of sisters who go to live with their father and seemingly wicked stepmother.

    The Quiet Family (1998) is a Korean horror comedy, about a family that runs an inn out in the mountains. They find themselves dealing with bodies of guests who keep dying (one kills himself, a couple passes in the night, one man falls off a cliff, and many more). The family decides to bury them, thinking no one would believe such misfortunes occurred, but there's even more trouble when a pesky cop comes to investigate various missing person reports!

    Thirst is a Korean horror comedy love story about a priest who finds himself turned into a vampire, but conflicted with his new way of life, resigned to drink blood from the IVs of comatose patients at the hospital. He meets a woman and they develop feelings for one another, but his vampiric urges pose a problem.

    There are a few others I've seen that might not qualify as horror, per say, but are very thrilling and psychological. If you have a chance to watch any of these and would like to know more, I'd be happy to give you more ideas. All of these are available on Netflix. You should check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Auditon...one of the most beautiful and terrifying movies I have ever seen. It captures obsession in a way that few movies have been able to. The Red Shoes and A Tale of Two Sisters have been on my "must see" list for a while now, but I haven't gotten around to watch them yet. Maybe soon!

    Thanks for the other suggestions...I'll add them to my list too! I am always looking for good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing! Hope you enjoy them when you have time to see watch them! If you enjoy the Korean movies, there are a lot more psychological dramas that you may appreciate. Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance are three great ones that are available to Watch Instant on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...I love Oldboy! It is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete